Healthy Pumpkin Banana Nut Muffins
You and your little ones will love these banana nut muffins! I spiced them up by adding some pumpkin, which is not only perfect for this time of year but is also loaded with potassium (more potassium than bananas in fact,) fiber, and are a great source of heart-healthy magnesium and iron. Pretty neat, huh?
These actually started out as plain old banana bread, but I decided to turn them into muffins instead. Muffins are easier than bread for a quick grab and go snack or breakfast. However, you can use this recipe to make bread or muffins, your choice! Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly. Bread will take about twice as long to cook as the muffins.
Here's what you need...
-2 ripe bananas
-1/4 cup of pumpkin puree (do not sub for pie filling)
-1/4 cup of xylitol (can sub for stevia, adjust serving size, coconut sugar or other sweetener of choice)
-1 tsp lemon juice
-3 cups almond flour
-1 tsp baking soda
-1/8 tsp sea salt
-1/2 cup of walnuts (or other mix in of choice)
Here's what to do...
1. Preheat the oven to 325. Line muffin pans with liners. If making bread, grease the bread pan with coconut oil.
2. Beat the eggs with a mixer on medium to high speed until they turn thick and pale yellow. Then, add in bananas and reduce speed. Mix until well combined. Add in sweetener and lemon juice. Mix until combined.
3. Mix the dry ingredients, then add them to the wet ingredients. Mix until well combined.
4. Fold in walnuts (or other mix in of choice.)
5. Pour batter into lined muffin pans. Bake for about 25-27 min. or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Cool on a wire rack. They keep best stored in the refrigerator.
Are you a banana nut fan? Share your favorite way to use up ripe bananas with me in the comments! If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know! I love hearing from you!
If you're interested in more healthy and easy to prepare recipes, check out my new cookbook, Quick & Easy Whole Food Recipes. It has over 60 healthy recipes including breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert! Plus, it has a variety of options including gluten free, dairy free, and vegan. You can check it out here.